A few weeks ago, my 8 month old baby woke up with a horribly painful looking red bum. She was fussy and grumpy (I'm assuming its because her bum hurt). She has never had a diaper rash before. Even though I made sure her nappy was changed as soon as it was wet or soiled her red bum soon escalated and by noon it was so bad she looked like she had sores on her bum. I knew I needed to act fast and get this under control. I pulled out my essential oils and some other home remedies and concocted this baby bum relief spray. It worked so well that by bedtime most of the redness had gone away and she had just two small areas that looked chapped. I continued to use the bum relief spray and some herbal healing salve that I made a while ago and by the following night (day 2) everything was completely cleared up. I consider that a win in my book.
Personally, there are two brands of essential oils that I choose to use, Original Swiss Aromatics and Purify Skin Therapy. I am not debating here (please do not post comments telling me how a certain MLM brand is the best). I have tried them all and these two brands are the ones that I feel are the best to spend our hard earned money on for the following reasons (this is not a complete list, just a few basic points)
1. They are sold by VERY reputable people who are highly knowledgeable in the essential oil industry (Kurt Schnaubelt, who owns Original Swiss Aromatics, is a world known aromatherapist, chemist, and author. Holly Draper, owner of Purify Skin Therapy, is a certified medical aromatherapist with extensive french aromatherapy training - I trust both of these people with my family's health). Holly personally answers my questions when I have them, she teaches great FREE classes (you really need to listen to her speak, she is a walking library about many alternative health modalities), and she genuinely has a love for people and their health.
2. They are NOT multi-level marketing companies.
3. They are small companies, not huge out of touch businesses looking to make huge profits.
4. The oils are organic or wildcrafted (this is very important no matter what any sales rep trying to sell you non organic oils tries to tell you).
5. They have PERSONAL relationships with the farmers/distillers. They know what they are selling and they want you to know too.
6. Other professional aromatherapists and authors actually recommend these brands (and not for profit reasons). They usually do not make money if you purchase from their recommendations. I make absolutely NOTHING if you buy either of these brands. I simply want people to have the opportunity to try high quality essential oils that actually work.
7. I personally have experienced results with both of these brands of oils. Original Swiss Aromatics Herpes Magic not only clears up my husband's cold sores faster than both OTC and prescription medications, but will even prevent a breakout if he applies it soon enough. Purify Skin Therapy's digestion blend works EVERY time we have any digestion issues arise at our house. I've kicked many bouts of cystitis (aka urinary tract infection) with Original Swiss Aromatics and Purify's Tea Tree oil, I've treated my family's bumps, bruises and wounds, colds, coughs, and flu, ear aches, stomach problems, and so much more with these essential oils. I know they work.
Do not fret if you do not have everything that I used to make this bum relief spray. I have a pretty good sized personal apothecary of alternative remedies and I had all of these things on hand. If you do not have a few of the ingredients, just try your best. Something is going to be better than nothing.
One last note, it is important to remember that many times rashes of the skin are caused by internal issues and not by external factors.The rash is usually a symptom! It is important to treat the body holistically and solve the underlying cause and not simply put a band-aid over the symptoms.
Baby Bum Relief Spray
1 one ounce glass spray mister bottle (like the one found here)
10 drops German Chamomile (Matricaria Recutita) essential oil
10 drops Yarrow Essential Oil (Achillea Millefolium) essential oil
10 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil (Melaleuca Alternifolia) essential oil
10 drops Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia) essential oil
10 drops Everlast (Helichrysum Italicum) essential oil
10 drops Sovereign Silver silver hydrosol
3 drops Grapefruit Seed Extract (aka GSE)
Fill one ounce mister bottle approximately 2/3 full with distilled water. Add essential oils, GSE, and silver hydrosol. Fill mister bottle the rest of the way with witch hazel. Shake very well before each use. Spray on clean bum and if possible allow to dry before putting diaper back on.
These are just a few of the properties of each oil:
German Chamomile (Matricaria Recutita) essential oil is a skin soothing anti-inflammatory oil that is dark blue due to the presence of Azulene. This oil is great for burns, allergic reactions, rashes, insect bites, and other skin irritations. It is gentle and non-toxic and can be used undiluted on humans. Energetically it is cooling to the body and thus calms and cools irritations that are creating heat. This oil is costly and is often adulterated with other cheaper blue oils which lack the healing properties of German Chamomile. This is why it is important to know your oil source and make sure you are buying the correct oil based on the botanical name.
Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) essential oil is anciently known for its wound healing abilities. The Greek myth hero Achilles when he was wounded with a poisonous arrow was told by Aphrodite to place yarrow in the wound, which was immediately healed. Yarrow is also one of the nine sacred healing herbs of the ancient Celts.
Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia) essential oil is commonly used for skin infections due to it's high disinfecting properties.
Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia) essential oil is a gentle oil that is safe for all ages. It is great for skin conditions both alone and in blends as it is both analgesic (helps relieve pain) and has powerful regenerative properties. It acts on the central nervous system to calm and relax.
Everlast (Helichrysum Italicum) essential oil is one of the most prized oils for skin care and is known for its cell regeneration and anti-inflammatory abilities. This oil is also known as Immortelle, Helichrysum, or Everlast essential oil.
Other skin healing oils to consider adding or substituting:
Frankincense (Boswellia Carterii) essential oil is highly prized for it's effect on skin issues, its powerful ability to heal, and it's anti-inflammatory properties.
Balsam Fir (Abies Balsamea) essential oil has a history of being used by Native Americans on wounds to help them heal.
Myrrh (Commiphora Myrrha) essential oil has analgesic (helps relieve pain) and antiseptic properties and helps heal wounds that are difficult to heal.
Disclaimer: All information on Erickson and Co. is meant for educational and informational purposes only. The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. Reader are advised to do their own research and make decisions with their healthcare provider. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition, or are taking any medication, please consult your healthcare provider.